Tag Archives: DIY

A fridge or two and a kangaroo…

So, now that things have settled down a little,

(Accident update: I’m all better and we get our glossy new car tomorrow or Tuesday – yay!!)

it’s time to tally up the planned DIY jobs, and figure out just what I can manage to complete before the big move – now only 21 days away!

For those of you who are wondering about my post title, it’s from a well-known Aussie song – Home Amongst the Gumtrees, which reels off a bunch of desirable attributes for the singer’s dream home. While I’m not too concerned about the wildlife my new home comes with, I do have a big list of the things I’ve been envisioning for my new digs. For starters,

this   272366565228_1 has to become something like this… 151bdc05b399675d066eb67f98f9f20a (Can’t wait to see that transformation!).

I’m also halfway through resurfacing the bath here at the old place (I’ll have to write another post about that!), I’m wanting to spray some chrome coffee & lamp table bases gold, and have been seriously considering painting my desk before I start using it again in the new house – along with the filing cabinet and bookshelf. Yikes! All this as well as culling and packing and moving an entire household’s stuff in 3 weeks. I have 2 weeks more of work before having a lovely and industrious 2 weeks off for the move. Piece of cake, right?

But because it’s late Sunday night, and I don’t need to do any of that right now, let me bring you up to date on the DIYs I’ve done so far. First there was the cute little 1950s style table/small desk. It was painted an off-white colour and was in pretty poor shape when I bought it from eBay for a lovely little $50. I stripped it pretty easily using Diggers Paint Stripper (the cheap one form Bunnings!), and also sanded it with my trusty dusty mouse sander. I chose a walnut stain and just applied 1 coat because I didn’t want it to be too dark, but later I decided to strip the top back again, because I preferred the non-stained look on the top. Here’s a little gallery of the transformation process, although you’ll have to tune back in for a final shot, as I forgot to photograph it after refinishing the top again!

20160618_152315 20160618_162902 20160618_180617 20160625_175256 20160625_175214

I learned one valuable lesson from this project: fine grit sandpaper is worth the effort! My little sander only takes Ozito brand sander pads which come in 60, 90 and 120 grit. According to the packaging the 120 grit is ‘fine’, but try as I might, I could not get the surface smooth enough with that. When I finally did get round to re-tackling the top, I bought a 320 grit sanding block. What a difference it made! I didn’t bother redoing the legs and sides of the table, so the rest still feels a bit rough, but it’s helped me learn what to do for future projects.

Which leads me to my next one… my lovely mid-century armchairs. These two babies were looking a bit decrepit but I knew they’d polish up beautifully! I actually haven’t seen the final result yet – the timber’s all done (by me), but now they’re at the upholsterer’s to get some new overcoats. The half century old shellac took some beating, and I eventually resorted to using my friend’s heat gun to remove that nasty coating. After lots of elbow grease, 320 grit sanding and varnish, they came up beautifully.

20160710_165028 20160710_165042  (Chair on left shows original shellac)20160902_131104 20160831_134858 20160903_163148 20160903_163210 20160903_163204 We’ve settled on a lovely brownish black Warwick fabric known as Dolly, which feels just like a soft woolen overcoat. I can’t wait to see the finished result in a couple of weeks – they’re going to be beautiful!